Hijama- The ancient therapy of Sucking out blood for wellbeing and also curing diseases is fast gaining world wide recognisation.The treatment is based on Unani concepts . The procedure involves removal of 4th humour i.e sauda. A safe method of detoxification. The treatments are provided by qualified practitioners
Cupping therapy in the West had its birth in Egypt. They Egyptians passed it on to the ancient Greeks. Both Hippocrates and Galen were said to be staunch advocates of cupping.
The Greeks introduced it into India and that is where the Urdu word 'Unani' comes from. The Chinese in the East have also been practising cupping for at least 3,000 years.
We detoxisified the dirty blood in our body using the traditional blood cupping! Sounds scary to some people especially those who are afraid of the sight of blood, but interesting and adventurous to us who were so curious to know how it feels like after the treatment!
Blood cupping (also known as Al-Hijama) is one of the Sunnahs of our beloved Prophet Muhammad S.A.W. On the night when Prophet Muhammad S.A.W. was ascended to the sky for Isra', he went through the process of blood cupping to clean and purify himself.
If you want me to restrict to Hijama, research has proved it to cure Migraine, Spondilitis, sciatica, back pains, haemorrhoids, hyperlipidemia. On sunnah basis it is cure for all diseases except death.
- And do you find that in your experience, the conditions/illnesses that you have come across respond well to cupping (hijama) therapy? And if so, what are they?
All the above mentioned diseases respond well to hijama.
- Also what would you say about using cupping as a general preventative therapy (which by getting rid of bad blood/ toxins in the body may help prevent conditions like high cholesterol/ heart disease / cancer in the long term)? And how often would you recommend this (once a month? once/twice a year?)
According to Unani concept body comprises of four humours. 1. Dam (Blood) 2. Balgam (Phlegm)3. Safra (Yellow Bile) 4. Sauda (Black bile).
Sauda or black bile is supposed to have maximum toxins of the body. In Hijama this sauda is removed or in other words toxins are removed from the body. Hence after hijama many feel they have become much younger than their age.
Each cup sucks out about 10 to 15mm of toxins. The cup marks disappear after a few days. Treatment: Various ailments
- The hijama treatment is used to treat respiratory disease.
- Digestive disorders.
-Obesity , -Pain relief (joint pain -back pain - neck pain ) , Asthma , Headache,Acut
- Gynaecological disorders.
- Lymphatic blockages.
- Improves blood circulation Six optimal points
- Cups are places at the back of the head, shoulders, tail or small of the back and inner ankles.
- The cups suck out small amounts of blood.
Cupping Treatment In The Lightening Of Hadees Nabavi
Cupping Treatment in the Lightening of Hadees Nabavi
Holy instructions (Hadits)
The Great Prophet of Islam Mohammed (PBUH) advised cupping in about 28 holy instructions (Hadits) and urged the people to use it. According to a hadith narrated By Anas Ibn Malik, The Prophet PBUH said, "I did not pass by any group on the night of Al-lsra, unless they said to me O Muhammad, tell your Ummah to do cupping."
(Collected by Ibn Majah:3477)
He explained that it is one of the best medicines: "The best medicine with which you treat yourselves is cupping, or it is one of the best of your medicines." Or "The treatment you can use is cupping."
[collected by Al-Bukhari: 5371]
The messenger of Allah (PBUH) also said: "Cupping is the most helpful procedure for human beings to cure themselves."
[Collected byAl-Bukharl;5357, and Muslim 5371]
The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: "The best treatment is cupping, it removes blood, lightens the back and sharpen the eyesight."
[Collected by Al - Hakim 4/212 and At-Tirmidhi 3053]
Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, "Indeed the best of remedies you have is cupping (hijama)..."
[Saheeh al-Bukhaaree (5371)].
Abu Hurairah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, "If there was something excellent to be used as a remedy then it is cupping (hijama)."
[Saheeh Sunan abi Dawud (3857), Saheeh Sunan ibn Maajah (3476)].
Abdullah ibn Abbas (may Allaah be pleased, with him) reported that the Messenger (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, "I did not pass by an angel from the angels on the night journey except that they all said to me: Upon you is cupping (hijama), O Muhammad."
[Saheeh Sunan ibn Maajah (3477)]
In the narration reported by Abdullah ibn Mas'ud (may Allaah be pleased with him) the angels said, "Oh Muhammad, order your Ummah (nation) with cupping (hijama)."
[Saheeh Sunan Tirmidhee (3479)]
Rasullullah (saw) said" Jibrail alaisalam repeatedly emphasised upon me to resort to cupping to the extent that I feared that cupping will be made compulsary."
Rasulullah (saw) praised a person who performs cupping, saying it removes blood, lightens the back and sharpens the eyesight
(Jamul Warsaai p. 179.)
The above quoted al-Hadith is clear that cupping was practised by rasullulah (saw) himself and strongly recommended by him.
Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with them both) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Healing is to be found in three things: drinking honey, the knife of the cupper, and cauterization of fire."
(Reported by al-Bukhaari, 10/136).
Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with them both) reported that the Prophet (PBUH) was treated with cupping, and he paid the cupper his fee."
(Reported by al-Bukhaari, 10/124; Muslim 1202).
Narrated AbuKabshah al-Ansari:
The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) used to have himself -cupped on the lop of his head and between his shoulders, and that he used to say: If anyone pours out any of his blood, he will not suffer if he applies no medical treatment for anything
(Book 28, Number 3850)
The Prophet (PBUH) said:If anyone has himself cupped on the 17th, 19th and 21st it willbe a remedy for everydisease.
(Book 28, Number 3852)
Narrated Abu Hurayrah:
The Prophet (PBUH) said: The best medical treatment you apply is cupping.
Strengthening One's Intelligence And Memory
Ibn Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, "Cupping (hijama) on an empty stomach* is best. In it is a cure and a blessing. It improves the intellect and the memory..."
[Saheeh Sunan ibn Maajah (3487)].
*'alaa ar-reeq in arabic means to fast until after being treated with cupping. Once the treatment of cupping has been completed, one may eat and drink.
Jaabir ibn Abdullah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) fell from his horse onto the trunk of a palm tree and dislocated his foot. Waki' (may Allaah be pleased with him) said, "Meaning the Messenger (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) was cupped on (his foot) for bruising."
[Saheeh Sunan ibn Maajah (2807)].
Cupping (Hijama) While fasting Or In The State Of Ihram
Abdullah ibn Abbas (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam ) was cupped on his head for a unilateral headache while he was in Ihraam.
Abdullah ibn Abbas (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) was cupped while he was fasting.
[Saheeh al-Bukhaaree (5694)]
Areas of Cupping (Hijama)
Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) was treated with cupping (hijama) three times on the two veins at the side of the neck and the base of the neck.
[Saheeh Sunan abi Dawud (3860), ibn Maajah (3483)].
Abdullah ibn Abbas (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) was cupped on his head.
[Saheeh al-Bukhaaree (5699)].
Jaabir ibn Abdullah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) was treated with cupping (hijama) on his hip for a pain in that area.
[Saheeh Sunai. abi Dawud (3863)]
Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) was treated with cupping (hijama) when he was in Ihram, on the top of his foot, for a pain in that area.
[Saheeh Sunan abi Dawud (1836)].
Cupping (Hijama) For Women
Jaabir ibn Abdullah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported Umm Salama (may Allah be pleased with her) asked permission from the Messenger (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) to be treated with cupping (hijama). So the Messenger (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam), ordered Abu Teeba (may Allaah be pleased with him) to cup her. Jaabir ibn Abdullah (may Ailaah be pleased with him) said," I think he (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said that Abu Teeba (may Allaah be pleased with him) is her brother through breastfeeding or a young boy who didn't reach puberty".
[Saheeh Muslim (5708), abu Dawud (4102), Saheeh ibn Maaiah (3480)].
Benefits of Cupping
• It helps in causing tissues to release toxins
• Activate the lymphatic system
• To clean delicate and big arteries and activate the blood circulation.
• To clean lymphatic knots and veins, mainly in the foot, that spread all over the body to relieve it from the residuals of medications at once
• To activate and stimulate reaction positions of internal body-systems in the body (reflex zones) in order to increase the brain attention to the injured organ and give appropriate orders to the body to take the necessary measures.
• To clean paths of energy, this aids to strengthen the vitality of The body - a method discovered by Chinese and Japanese more than 5000 years ago
• To suck medical remains of mixtures and toxics from the body that exist in blood gatherings between the skin and the muscles as well as other places in the body such as the gout disease in which uric acid crystals are taken away from between the joints with a simple blood congestion created by a slight scratch on the skin.
• To make blood gatherings in some areas that need extra blood or have a deficiency in the blood circulation (partial stimulation of the blood circulation).
• To strengthen the general immunity of the body by activating Immunity glands, particularly the thymus gland that lies at the back on the chest fourth vertebra.
• To regulate hormones - particularly in the seventh vertebra of the neck.
• To handle the psychological side through the seventh vertebra of the neck, the fifth lumbar vertebra, the gall bladder knot on the end of the right side that regulates the system responsible for nervousness, anger, sadness, depression, reactions, cruelty and carelessness - a situation that improves the patient's psychology, leads to a quick body response to drugs and helps the doctor to easily cure the disease with God willing.
• To stimulate the systems of the brain,movement, hearing, perception and memory.
• To stimulate the glands, particularly the pituitary gland.
• To relieve the tension on the nerves which sometimes occur due to the congestion of the blood vessels that presses on the nerves, mainly in the head causing headache.
• To move out some gatherings, mixtures and causes of pain of Unknown source - still a mystery to modern medicine - that led to establish pain clinics, especially in France , and currently hold courses in pain clinics in Egypt.
• To suck blood gatherings outside the body. This releases the prostaglandin substance from the injured cell when it explodes and arouses pain in the body. Here lies the secret of getting rid of many pains immediately after the cupping.
• One secret of cortisone is its ability to disenable the pain from controlling the cell and causing its explosion that releases the prostaglandin substance to finally make it disappear. Hence, they call cortisone the medical magician. Yet, the non-explosion of the injured cells is against the body nature and causes many side effects. On the other hand, cupping relieves the body of harmful wastes with no effects.
• Cupping sucks the extra acids in the body (a German research) Which maximizes the red blood cells, increases blood intensity and leads to deficiency in the blood circulation that stops the regularity of blood in the cells.
• Cupping increases the percentage of cortisone in blood.
• Cupping stimulates anti-oxidation substances.
• Cupping decreases the percentage of harmful cholesterol (LDL) inblood and Increases the ratio of useful cholesterol in blood (HDL).
• Cupping decreases the ratio of uric acid in blood.
• Cupping raises the ratio of natural morphine (ENDORBHINS) in the body and leads to countless benefits. Hence, it is necessary for anyone having any useful research on cupping to present it to benefit people as God says (co-operate on charity and piety).
Cupping is a method of causing local congestion. A partial vacuum is created in cups placed on the skin either by means of heat or suction. This draws up the underlying tissues. When the cup is left in place on the skin for few minutes, blood stas is is formed and localized healing takes place.
Cupping therapy has been further developed as a means to open the 'Meridians' of the body. Meridians are the conduits in the body through which energy flows to every part of the body and through every organ and tissue. Diseases and illnesses occur when your -meridian channels are blocked. Opening up the channels can help speed recovery and bring about healing, There are five meridians on the back that, when opened, allow invigorating energy to travel the whole length of the body. It has been found that cupping is probably the best way of opening those meridians.
The application of Cupping is very simple but its effects are amazing. Our health & well being (immune system) are totally dependent on the movement of blood, Qi (energy) & body fluids (hormones, lymphatic fluid, etc.).
Oriental Medicine teaches us that all pain is due to stagnation of these systems. Cue to the wonderful pulling power and heat that the cups offer it is dramatic in its reduction of pain and hence our feeling of well being. This stagnation can be a result of injury, stress, a lack of blood, Qi or even an invasion of cold in the body etc.
Cupping has also been found to affect the body up to four inches into the tissues, causing tissues to release toxins, activate the lymphatic system, Cupping is the best deep tissue massage available. Cupping, the technique, is very useful and very safe andcan be easily incorporated into your family health practices. It may just be the solution that you are looking for.
Now plastic cups with a magnet is attached are used instead of traditional cups. The new cups have done away with the traditional firing. This has made the application of the cupping more easy and safe. It has a good penetrating effect and a big drawing strength. It has not only improved efficiency but also simplified the procedures of cupping therapy.
Types of Cupping therapy:
Cupping therapy is broadly classified in two types
• Dry cupping
• Wet cupping
Stationary cups are placed on the skin and left for a period of 5 to 15 minutes in one location This is the process of using a vacuum on different areas of the body in order to gather the blood in that area without incisions.
Wet cupping (hijama)
This is the process of using a vacuum at different points on the body but with incisions in order to remove 'harmful' blood which lies just beneath the surface of the skin. (It is recommended that wet cupping (hijama) is only administered by a qualified & expert cupping therapist).
1) What are the side effects?
Ans: Unlike the drugs, medicines and operations done by allopathy which will have side effects. The cupping therapy is free from any side effects. Except few marks which will come due to the stagnation of blood which will remain for few days.
2) Where to do cupping?
Ans: Cupping points vary from person to person depending on their health and disease if any. However for a healthy person we recommend 3 point where our prophet (PBUH) got cupped.....
3) How long the cupping marks will remain?
Ans: Bruises will remain for 7 to 10 days.
4) Do we have to take any medicine after cupping process?
Ans: NO. There is no need to take medicines after cupping therapy. However if a person is suffering from a particular disease they might need medicines with doctors consultation.
5) How long the cupping process will take?
Ans : Cupping process for one sitting will take up to average 45 minutes. (Can vary depending on patient)
6) How many times to do cupping?
Ans : Depending on the health and disease of a patient concern doctor will prescribed.
7) I am a healthy person, why should I undergo cupping therapy?
Ans : Cupping Therapy gets rid of acidic toxic waste which accumulate in our bodies (blood stasis) as we grow older. Sources of toxic waste include the polluted air we breathe; toxic chemicals found in your food, water, drinks, household chemicals & toiletries; environmental waste in your neighbourhood; intoxicating drinks, narcotic drugs, junk food and smoking; waste products of normal body metabolism; products of medicinal drugs metabolism; impact of trauma and accidents on our body; and toxins from mental stress, anger, anxiety and depression. The blood stasis (stagnated or congested blood) slow down or block supply of blood via blood capillaries which deliver much needed oxygen, nutrients, water, mineral electrolyte, vitamins, enzymes, hormones and immune system cells & antibodies to your cells, tissues and organ. The blockage also prevent the removal of carbon dioxide, metabolic waste products and toxic substance which are excreted via our urine, lungs and skin. As a result your cells, tissues, and organs cannot function at its normal healthy level and become progressively weak, inefficient, and easily overcome by germs. This would cause tissue or organ to malfunction and infection to take place. Therefore you will experience symptoms of diseases such as aches and pain, numbness, fever, cough, stomach ache, constipation, diarrhea and headaches. If left untreated further accumulation of toxic waste may lead to serious chronic diseases including hypertension, ulcers, diabetes, arthritis, Alzheimer disease, migraine, heart disease, stroke and cancer Cupping is a very good preventive measure